Significant and Famous Scots
(This section is about Scottish born people who made a difference)
A lot of the entries in here come from the book “Biographical Dictionary of Eminent Scotsmen” originally edited by Robert Chambers and then the new edition along with the supplemental volume says by the Rev. Thos. Thomson. It was published by Blackie and Son of Glasgow, Edinburgh, and London in 1856. Would also like to recognise the work of Jeanette Simpson who has worked very hard to type all this in for us.
Should you be able to provide a brief biography of a Significant Scot that we don’t list we’d be delighted to receive it for inclusion in here. Simply email it to Alastair McIntyre
Select the Surname Letter of the person you are looking for and if you don’t find the person then do also use our site search engine at the top of the page.
Here is a list of other web pages where you can find out more about individual Scots…
- Check out our Scots Women in History section
This includes the Ladies of the Covenant
- The Scottish Nation
This is a large 3 volume publication giving you information on names and significant people of the name.
- The Scottish-American History Club
Found this site while browsing on the web and it contains a number of newsletters each of which profiles a Scots-American which make a very interesting read.
- Scots Pioneers in Medicine
A most interesting summary of Scots pioneers in medicine.
- Scottish Technologists and Scientists
Here is a list of Scottish Technologists and Scientists
- Scottish Engineering Hall of Fame
- Did you know that 61% of American Presidents have a Scottish ethnic background?
- Check out the Scots Independent’s “Oliver Brown Award” winners
- Memoirs and Portraits of One Hundred Glasgow Men
This is a collection held at Glasgow University
- Dundee Celebrities of the Nineteenth Century
Being a series of Biographies of Distinguished or Noted Persons connected by Birth, Residence, Official Appointment, or Otherwise, with the Town of Dundee; and who have died during the present century. Compiled by W. Norrie (1873)
- Lives of Eminent Men of Aberdeen
Compiled by W. Norrie (1873) (pdf)
- Dundee Celebtities of the Nineteenth Century
By James Bruce (1890)
- The Book of Scotsmen
Eminent for Achievements in Arms and Arts, Church and State, Law, Legislation, and Literature, Commerce, Science, Travel, and Philanthropy by Joseph Irving (1880) (pdf)
- Dictionary of National Biography
Is a standard work of reference on notable figures from British history, published from 1885